Too much orange... Don't make me lose it!!!



So according to the massive amount of readers I have everyone seems to be enjoying my take on life on the vineyard. I can honestly say that it is a different way of life here and I will not allow myself to get comfortable AT ALL. But what I will do is enjoy the scene and the people here cause that's what living in a resort town is all about. With saying that I ventured out to the island fair yesterday and boy was it a barrel of fun. I wish there was a sarcastic icon I could use. I imagined it to be like going to the world famous Renaissance Fair and being able to get a turkey leg and dress like a wizard or warlock ( im not judging anyone ). The fair does has it's own charm and whimsy as Bean would say and I have to agree. The fair from the outside started like any other fair you know you could see the rides from the road and you park in this long open field with christmas trees being grown next to it. You get to the entrance and pay 8 dollars WAIT WHAT... I pay to get in? Lady is this gonna be worth 8 dollars and the 2 dollar atm fee???? Ok just one child ticket please... fine give me an adult ticket and a few extra ride tickets. Well can you do anything special for me like a free goldfish or MV bumper sticker.


Alright no luck with the free stuff but I did manage to get a hand stamp and a rock in my boots. The fair was spread out on a piece of land that has a barn to hold the animals for judging. That's right ANIMAL JUDGING!!! I can honestly say that I have never seen or been around so many farm animals at once. That reminds me I need to send zyrtec a thank you card because without them I would have been in one of those reclineable hospital beds. There were animals that I was familiar with like goats, sheeps, and even donkeys. But then as I was walking with the GM I stopped and literally had to grab my gag reflex and beg it not to release what was bellowing up my esophagus. Now I know that I'm part indian and my people rode horse along the wide open fields of grain and corn. But you guys this horse was like like like... I mean I could fit in this thing and build a shoe rack for my many pairs of shoes right next to me. The horse had to be about 6' 5" and about 8' wide it was like a prehistoric beast oh like hagrid's hippogriff.
What a site to see and to smell I could have use that s@@@ to keep small deer and turkeys away. After leaving the animals we walked to were the food was stationed and I wanted to see this firemans burger that everyone and there momma has been talking about. There were about 12 vendors selling food from strawberry shortcake to chicken on a stick to even yes you guessed it finally fried candybars. I got in line to get a firemans burger to which most of the proceeds with to the scholarship fund for the island great cause ok burger. Nuff said. I need a chicken on a stick next so I walked over and grab a chicken wrap cause I want to be a little more adventurous. CRICKETS  CHIRPING. After still being slightly hungry I convinced myself to try a fried snickers bar and boy was that a waste of 5 dollars and a hand shake. It looked tasty and there in lies the problem. Nothing can look that good and taste just as good. I've had some great dishes and food that both looked good and taste good ( Eleanor's carrot cake is a good example). When I finally picked up the bar on a stick it was more soggy than my ankles after getting up out of the ocean. The insides had fuse together like a crazy science experiment and had took it upon itself to fall off the stick right into my whipped cream. Sending almost all the chocolate onto my shirt. To get off subject for a moment I've gotten alot of feedback from people about the blog and how it's entertaining and well written. Just so you guys know I appreciate it but I am definitely gonna sensor myself because there has been an influx of mom's that have started to read it. My mom included and my aunt as well ( HI YA"LL ). Or I won't sensor and you guys will be forced to read words such as shat and you will find yourself saying it in your head all day. ANY WHO after "eating" we walked to the agricultural building to see all the blue ribbon winners in the vegetable, baked goods, art, and fruit categories. This was amazing just to see all the pies and hand made garden showcases. Then there were the huge zucchini and tomatoes. I was walking through heaven ( and made a lil hell cause I couldn't taste anything) while wearing a bid holding a fork and knife. That's when I saw it ... the thing that made me go absolutely bananas. Someone had made ... wait for it. I'm just gonna show you the picture and leave the fair story like this. But before I do there was a 2 oclock piglet race and slammin salami won by a curl.















Back to work I went after the fair and once I got to work I had to use up the apples and the pears that were bought the day before. WHAT TO DO   WHAT TO DO!? I decided to go very simple with the pears and I just made a simple syrup using a chardonnay and water as the liquid. 2 cups of the liquid and 1 cup of sugar I dropped a vanilla bean and nutmeg in the pot for favor. I peeled the pears but left them whole I was praying as I did all this just so you know. Once I had them in the liquid poaching I tackled the rest of the dish. I wanted to do a take on a french dish were the pears are glazed and then rolled in the chocolate and then covered in almonds. So I made you guessed it chocolate pudding and lighten it a bit with unfavored whipped cream. The pudding is just warmed milk whipped with egg yolks, cornstarch, sugar, and then chocolate at the end off the heat. I added a half of a 4th teaspoon of orange oil ( an apparently it was too much YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) to kinda give it a secret kiss from a mistress nobody knows. I finished the plate with a almond shortbread which has been a big hit up in these parts. The apples on the other hand was a kind of a challenge in that I was sick of them always watching me in the walkin like I was trying to avoid them. And I'm like you ain't worth my time and they like whatever you know you want me. I made a strudel there I said it and I enjoyed making it. I grabbed the apple and begin to slice it into tiny triangles. I also grabbed some housemade fig jam, raisins, almonds, orange zest, cinnamon, and egg yolks and began to mix it all together. I rolled out the pastry until it was nice an then and filled and rolled them into nice meatloaf looking bundles of appley goodness. MMMMMM I baked them off and when they were cooling I turned them over so that the weight would kinda smashed it downward as to make it look like a stromboli I guess you could say. That should give you a nice visual. I served it with a simple green apple sorbet and a vanilla scoop and sent the plate out for people to enjoy. Whoo that sounded like alot of work and boy are my wings tired.






I ended work with a trip to the food truck a wink from the chef in the truck and a lobster roll bag still in my hand as I fell asleep. I'm off today so I think I'm gonna try and venture out in this rain and grab some island food.
OUI

Comments