Baby's Day Out

Another day in Vineyard Haven is another day I wonder... why didn't I pack more shoes? It took me soooo long to get dressed today you would think I was on the MTV or something. Today was my second day off and I decided to make it a good one. I slept in a little bit to even out my eye bags a bit. Then I headed into vineyard haven's city center to grab a bite at a well known diner The ArtCliff. The chef has a great menu and the restaurant only stays open from 7am to 2pm which I thought gave me enough time to blog some and then head in. Well upon reaching my culinary destination I found out that EVERYBODY THOUGHT THE SAME THING! The line was amazing long and full of tourist who wouldn't even let me in to see the menu. I left needless to say and headed to saltwater to grab my map. I started my drive to Oak Bluffs passing the usually ocean views and ocean front homes of people sipping wine out of golden goblets.When I arrived at OB I was shocked to see that there weren't alot of people out making total chaos. Even though it was a bit slow paced I still could not find a parking spot to save my life. So many one way streets and people walking in the middle of them I tried hard not to yell because why... I'm not in dc! I ended up walking to a place called Fishbones  for a fried scallop roll and sweet potato fries and for a minute I was excited. FOR A MINUTE! The fries were extra well done and the scallop roll left me so hungry I was wondering if I paid 10 bucks for a appetizer rather than a meal. But the bartender lady was nice and she pointed me in the right direction of finding the other food highlights of the town. There are a couple good places to eat in OB like the Ocean Club, Sidecar ,and the Sweetlife cafe which is the restaurant that Obama and his wife visited. After eating and drinking to no satisfaction I wanted back up passed the ocean view to the white jetta that I was borrowing and headed to Edgartown and beyond. I just had no idea that edgartown would be so insanely busy and packed full of colored chinos and top siders. Oh and the rope belts.. I could have went rock climbing there were so many. Now this place reminds me of King st in Va because theres so much to see and its all kinda crammed into these house type buildings. I'll have to go back and take some pictures without anyone thinking that I'm trying to case the place out. With the help of my restaurant family I ended up at a restaurant called Detente and I was back in DC again.

 This place was a definite pearl in a crowded clam buried in a cove somewhere waiting for you to stop and stare. The place in set behind a little mall of sort with an outdoor patio of 5 tables and a 6 seater bar inside. The place seats about fifty people at a time and it remains busy all night. I was more excited though to know that tourist won't step foot near the place because of the LONG WAIT TIME ( foodies know that the wait time separates the novice from the professional lol) but that just piped the icing on my brain cake. I sat down at an empty bar and decided to have a glass of wine while peeking at a menu I thought I knew from online research. Different menu ofcourse but the 2008 Malbec was good could have use a few ice cubes but I was thinking about what kelli would say about that. I decided to try there artichoke soup as a first and for main a bone-in beef tenderloin. When the soup came out I was a little shocked because of the process we use to make the soup and the way there soup looked. It was a caramelized garlic color and was about as creamy a pureed soup can be without using cream or butter. The soup was garnished with lemon zest, tomato spaeztle, local lobster, pea shoots, and fresh garbanzo beans. I thought it was a really good soup and for the price it was a good size portion. I thought I would never say this but I could have use a bit more heat or spice but the black pepper I asked for did the trick. To get off subject it seems that every time I go out to eat alone I attract people who seem to think I over eat for a certain reason. Then when I saw I'm a cook they want to know my entire back story or vice versa they want to tell me. Two couples sandwiched me into the bar last night one couple just got engaged I don't know but the guy who has already climbed the over the hill fence was ordering a bottle of wine for himself and offered me a glass. I said yes because you all know I'm not rude. Then he turns around and starts sobbing about his divorce to his wife who he married at a young age. Now I was trying to block it out and enjoy this free glass of zinfindal but his new mail ordered bride was comforting him and singing " you are my sunshine my only sunshine" bitch we are at are bar I screamed. ( in my head). While he is sobbing and barely able to put two words together the other couple are extremely rich older couple and the lady was asking me how was everything after every bite of food I took. I mean do you really want to know how it was? After every bite lady the food was getting progressively colder due to you longwindedness nature. Now go back to sipping your soco cocktail and tell your husband to stop staring at the food runner guy. GESSSH.







 So finally my main course came out and I was excited this massive piece of tenderloin was all glazed up and ready to be eaten. It came with spinach roasted with hazelnuts, mitake mushrooms, and a fig bread pudding. I love me some bread pudding and I'm not bragging but I make a great bread pudding too. The flavors of each component complimented each other. It was a really well balanced dish and I and the rest of the bar enjoyed every bite. For dessert I ordered the peach and cherry fruit crisp with vanilla saba ice cream. It was ok and I only ordered it because I put a apple crisp on the menu at saltwater and received some criticism about it not being hot enough and etc. But there's seem to be too hot and the "gelato" melted from the heat of the plate. All in all a great meal was had and a great story was gained. I just have to plan my next outing on the island a little better so that I can cram more into my day. Oh yeah I forgot to mention my host family took me to a private beach on the south side of the island. Not a person in sight for miles and the waves were above 6 ft tall. I ingested some much water I nicknamed myself "saltwater"  and just sat on the beach for a little while. Alright back to work.
    

Comments

  1. funny stuff man, next day off check out my boy
    Pete at Chillmark tavern in Chillmark. glad to hear you didn't drown...i was worried

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow After seeing that menu I will definitely check that place out. I think Im staying not to far from chillmark. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment