Their summer project... WHY??!!!

These last 2 days have seem to fly by like all the seagulls around here do. Work is getting better and I think the staff are starting to get me and my food. Or whatever is left of it. Today is my first day off since starting and I don't know what to do. Oh I've been meaning to blog this interesting news for a while. Apparently the part of the island called Oaks Bluff has a heavily populated African American community HAHA. They even have "hoops" and "tennis courts" that are not damaged and real lines drawn on. Our President Obama might even be vacationing here for a week which means I need to get my hair cut and my shoes cleaned.


I guess I could take the bus into town and walk around a bit. I think I need to buy a pair of swimming trunks that fit me. This is all so random...


At work I have been cooking up something once again . Another dessert I made for the restaurant was something that I thought northerner liked. Blueberry spoon bread .. YAY! I used a southern technique and made it casual and I thought it tasted pretty good. I made cornbread the day before and made sure I put some of the sweet corn in the batter then I baked it off. Let it stale a bit overnight and then crumbled it and sifted out the corn kernels. I tossed the blueberries with molasses, sugar, vanilla and orange oil. The batter was almost an exact replica of crepe batter ( see page six of any cook book) except I added the cornbread crumbs into it. Not alot but enough to see the crumbs floating. In the ramekins you just spoon a bit of the batter down and bake it off until it hardens. After that you add the fruit and top it with the rest of the batter.MMMMMM. I bake it for about 20 minutes or so THEN THEN I topped that with yes the cornbread crumbs that I mixed with you guess it powdered sugar and tons upon tons of butter. "youtalkinboutdownonthefarmbutterrichnopantsnoshirtsugarfiedheartfailureinacupheaven" I hope you got that.
Wine poached peaches on the left and Blueberry spoonbread on the right

So the summer project you ask? What is it? Who is involved? Well the Dunn family has decided to break my driving cherry and teach me how to drive a manual stick shift huge 4x4 truck. So when you hear a loud bang it's most likely me hitting one of these wild turkeys up here. OUI

Comments

  1. joe!! im so jealous. Martha's Vineyard?? are you serious? blog and food looks awesome dude; can't wait to hear stories of nothing but white folks giving you funny looks. you're the man guiseppe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you see Obama let him know you are from DC and he might bring you to the White House to cook for him.... it could happen!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment