Riding on Chicken Alley

So after day 2 working in the kitchen last night I got a chance to make a few dishes for the dessert menu. Most of you know that once you open the door for me to create the flood gates break and you will need to make a dam and
whatever else you need to control water. I decided to make an apple tartin and a mixed berry mousse with a white peach poached in a sweet Riesling.


 The mousse we put on the
last night menu I wanted to see if it would sell. It sold fairly well but the plating was a little difficult for the gardemarge cook but towards the end he got it. The dish itself was kinda complex I guess
the mousse was the most difficult thing. The peaches were just peeled and poached in equal parts wine and water and half sugar with a little bit of cinnamon and orange zest. For the mousse I just sun kissed
them with a some sugar and a clove bud then I pureed and pass them through a chinoise I also added 2 sheets of gelatin before cooling. Whipped the cream and added a cup of creme fraiche to give it some body ( the weather up here really affects your baking)
and then just chilled it. Fold fold fold and Viola a mousse that taste just like a sunkissed baskets of berries straight from the vineyard grounds. I paired the mousse and the peach with an almond shortbread cookie which I made with almond oil, butter, vanilla bean, powdered sugar, flour and sliced almonds. Since the first batch of cookies didn'tcome out right I use them as a crumble to hold the mousse aboue the liquid from the peaches.







It all sounds so complex but It was a quick dish and I did it all without a scale (inside joke). The apple tartin was a little more tricky I wanted a southern style crust and who better to call then your own grandmother.
She gave me some great recipes but I still had to figure out how I was going to do single serving apple desserts. I found some tart tins and and decided to make an apple puree with just apple, water, sugar, and clove. I
seared off apples after I cut them in half and cored them in butter, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. The dough has a little orange zest in it so that's today's task as well as setting up the grill station.









After the service was over Sammy (the chef) took me to vineyard Haven's only food truck. There's a diner a couple doors down from the restaurant the chef there is really accomplished she runs her busy according to how she feels.



But he food is definitely gourmet and everyone says you should never go there and order a omelet. NEVER!!! Because everything else is so interesting and you could go home and make yourself an omelet. But the food truck is open after hours\
until about 2 am Oh I didn't mention that her diner closes at 2 pm and opens at 7 am. The menu it's long but the food there serve are affordable and huge. I got a homemade moon pie and a Lamb roller haha. I wish I had taken a picture of the moon pie I mean it was literally
the size of my COUGHS hand and as thick as my COUGHS AGAIN ankle. Really big and really good.The lamb roller was braised lamb shank wrapped in warm flat bread and on the side was a feta and tomato salad. Really good and open late nights on weekends ... amazing! The rest of the menu
was burgers, hot dogs stuffed with bacon and basil-mayo, garlic fries, BLTs, fresh doughnuts covered in nutella, and fruit smoothies. I had to stuff my mouth and fall asleep cause that's just how I eat. 


OUI

Comments