From the Bean's House to the Bluff House

So far this has been a good trip and I'm kinda glad I came back this year. Some of my pastries are on point and the hours that I have been clocking in are insane. The weather here has been great but the last few days have been a little erratic. Due to the oncoming hurricane most if not all of the island's visitors have fled in fear of being trapped here. So business this weekend will be slow and we maybe be closed on Sunday.

But I have went back to my southern roots and made a blueberry pound cake for a new dessert I wanted to try. I've always liked the taste of uncooked rhubarb and thought that the chef had something good going with the rhubarb soup with blueberries. So I soaked the rhubarb in strawberry juice and sugar overnight. The texture was still crunchy but the flavor was just sweet enough that it complimented each other. I served the cake with the rhubarb coulis and the soaked pieces along with fresh blueberries and lemon curd. I do enjoy making lemon curd! I hope you all know how to make lemon curd because it stays good for days almost 2 weeks if you forget about it. I think it was a success and the customers seemed to like it so hopefully we sell out of it tonight. The cookies are still rocking and I decided to just serve them with chocolate gelato and crumbs. Nice, simple, and easy to plate. Now that my station mate has flew back to Bulgaria for college I'm making all of the desserts and setting up garde mange and pastry. Now it's not like working both stations at Palena but everyone knows I can handle it. I've been working on a dessert that has the same feeling as a mounds bar. Chocolate torte with almond tuile and coconut cream. It taste pretty damn close to the real thing I'm just worried about plating it and not making it look to fancy. People up here depending on where the restaurant is don't like there food to done up. I.E. sous vide or en croute!!!

Leaving the ducks was a bit hard. As I left they all seem to woddle to the front door and scare the crap out of me. So I took the drive down island to the bluff house which sits on the cliffs overlooking the route of the ferry to the island. I was welcomed by a shirtless guy who I thought was Big Sam but turned out the be Mr. Philips. I knew the name from making his food all these years but didn''t think I would meet him this way. Oh well. Back to my room and then off to find some shells and beach glass. I hit the jack pot with finding a big piece of beach glass biggest I've every seen ( that's what she said... JONNY!!). Now just waiting for the limo to take me to work. More to follow about the storm and everything that is guiseppe.













OUI

Comments