What the hell am I doing?

Holy toledo Batman... I only have a week left!!

In the last few weeks I can tell you and I expect that what I say will say between you and I. That I have had a total eclispe of the heart haha. I wanted to say that just cause but really I have refilled my cooking juices and I'm ready to be squeezed. Being up here and cooking WAY out of my comfort zone has helped me to hone my own cooking. I now know what I like, what I don't like, and what I won't motha"f"in tolerate. YOU HEAR ME !!! I've think the food I've made up here has been some of the best so far. Now by saying that I'm not refering to food from a restaurant. I'm talking about food that I have written thousands of times in my book and never got a chance to make. If not all most of the pictures I have posted has been in the tattered old composition book for years just waiting for a chance to be critize for any reason. It's been a joy and a labor of love just being able to nudge my personal style on this american fan fare menu. And then having to re-nudge it back on the menu in a more simplier form. ( SUCKS) But always in the back of my mind I kept asking myself " What in the hell am I doing here?" or " Why are there so many squeeze bottles?". SERIOUSLY!? I know I get ashy and all but this many oils haha. Hold on I have to feed my roommate......

This is Sheffinton ... 
As I was grabbing food tonight from the oh so popular ArtCliff food truck I stop to chat with the hostess. Buttoning up my chef jacket while we discussed food on the island and the ever changing food trends and cheflihood. ( cheflihood : the life cycle of the chefs on the island) She was telling me that most of the restaurant changes chef every season and when that happens it also changes cuisine. Sometimes that can be a great thing you know starting over and all that oprah BS. But you think about the other some odd restaurants who don't do that but they have to make sure that there menus are evolving as well. It's kind of hard for everyone to be on the same page and in my head it's an island right? They should be kind oh helping each other stay afloat. Whatever so she starts to tell me that she has not had a great meal on the island yet ( im gonna keep in short cause she had alot to say about certain places) and I was telling her about some of the meals I've had here. I've had some good ones and some that were not good still nothing to bad yet. My only bad note was the servers here are extremely burnt out and are hanging on for dear life cause " the season is almost over". After all that chatting and sexting ( ok there was no sexting but sexting is cool guys) we parted ways once I received my fried green tomato BLT and garlic-basil fries. MMMMM.  I drove home thinking about the events that unfolded on this Martha's Vineyard and only have one reaction to it. But I'm sure you guys can figure that out. I'm just glad to be able to do something as extraordinary as this and then go back to DC to continue doing great food at the new and always improving Palena Restaurant.

On a different note one of my DC friends Ben Parmentier is in the area and decided to take a ferry over to the island for a few hours tomorrow. I'm excited to see a fellow Washingtonian and I secretly hoping he has some Yum's I can munch on. After we part I'm going to eat at the island's only uber upscale restaurant which sits in a boutique hotel which means... you guessed wrong. I'm wearing a vest and the Nike Blazers YEAH BOYY!
Ok I have to say this so bare with me guys. I really do miss all my coworkers, friends, and family back in DC and MD but I will be home in a week so you guys better be planning something with lots of drinks. SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS and maybe a shot. That is all...
OUI

P.S. Tonight at work I finally broke down and made a strawberry shortcake and boy was it delicious!!!
Staff Meal ... Yummo
The start of something good
Grilled Tuna with yesss WASABI MASH!!!
Strawberry Shortcake with tarragon and balsamic
I hope you can see the great view

Comments