What's in a trifle...

So I hope this works but here is a short tour of the kitchen up here in Martha's Vineyard. Also I'm showing you the small break room we have up here.


So I finally got a chance to move into the Bluff house of my host family. I just can't tell you how this place makes me feel. Just the view alone is all I need to keep me here for another month. The house sits on a cliff top with steps that cascade down onto a private beach directly in front of the vineyard sound. For the next few days I'm gonna try and enjoy myself before I head home to the good ole district.

Work has been getting slower since everyone has began to head back home and all the kids are heading back to school. So I had a chance to create another great dessert for our menu. We had an excess of berries hanging around so I decided a trifle was in the works. So I thought berries what the hell goes well with berries besides lemon. Then I thought coffee... coffee is a big thing up here as well as everywhere else in america. I made my first ever sponge cake YAY!!! I made a simple flavorless sponge cake using a sheet pan and lots of butter. Then after it was cooked I pour espresso and a tablespoon of simple syrup over the entire cake. I made a simple mousse with some of the mixed berries and some berry liquor. Using ramekins I layered the coffee cake and the mousse with alternating layers of berries in between. The atop of all that I laid a quenelle of lemon curd cream and a blackberry. People seemed to like it and the coffee flavor was just subtle enough as to not over power anything else.

So once I settle in I am definitely going to do a video walk through and go swimming before work. The last storm we had up here manage to wash ashore all of these cockles and other sea creatures. Now the beach over here smells of the sea fo real. I'm off to bed now and I need the rest but maybe I'm in the mood for a midnight stroll who knows.\
OUI


Comments