Half Done Post... Finished

Happy Belated Labor Day!!!

I had a good labor day here in the city by the bay. I was kinda missing the annual BBQ my parents and the rest of the neighbors would throw. With a karaoke machine, moon bounce, sports, and everything else you can find at party city. I had to work on Sunday but after shaking off a bit of a rough night I arose Monday morning ready to cook something FIERCE! I'll just tell you know I thought I had enlisted a friend to take pictures of my cooking but said person forgot... Bullshit!


I'll just list the menu and kinda go through how I made each one. But you should know by go into detail I mean to skim and get to the good stuff : the stuff about me! OK here goes :

Barbecue Ribs
Macaroni and Cheese
Collards Greens
Bread Salad
Peach Cobbler

Barbecue Ribs :
I just grabbed a normal slab of ribs from the store and dried it off and let it sit to come to room temp. I grabbed some Jack Daniels sauce and doctored it up with more vinegar and tomato sauce. Added some seasonings from the cabinet ( oregano, cayenne, chili flakes, salt, pepper, and cinnamon), water, and honey to thin it a bit. The one good tip I learned from a very wise old man from North Carolina was to constantly baste the meat with a vinegar-tomato mixture to keep the meat tight. Keeping the meat tight ensures the juicy won't run out. After about an hour of cooking the ribs wrapped in foil I opened the foil and began to dry roast the ribs while still basting it with the sauce. A good two hours is all that it needed and I just let them rest before I cut them for about 15 minutes.

Macaroni and Cheese:
Simplest thing to make and yet I still had to call my dad on this one. Boy did he enjoy that phone call. Secretly I just wanted my family to know I loved them but acting like I forgot how to make this dish was the highlight of their day. Pretty much you cook the macaroni until is AL dente. Drain it and let it sit all the while throwing (literally) three eggs, a can of evaporate milk, a tablespoon of flour, a cup of milk, salt and pepper, and enough water to cover the pasta into a bowl. Toss everything together with the cheese and I chose cheddar and mozzarella so once all combined baked it at 400 covered for about 25-30 minutes. Easy Peasy!

Collard Greens:
Umm... Throw a pound of butter, two cups of chick stock, two strips of turkey bacon, a half of onion sliced, a 1/2 cup of vinegar, and two bags of cut collards into a pot and cook the shit out of it for 2 hours or longer. You really can't mess this up trust me because I have messed it up before. I like to add a can of stewed tomatoes into the mix to give it a Italiano twist because that's my thing. DON"T STEAL THAT! Add some salt and pepper and you have a winner.

Bread Salad:
Another one of those Italian things I seem to make with everything. I just bought a loaf of rustic bread from the store and cut it into dices of bread. Tossed the pieces with scallions, garlic, cider vinegar, olive oil, and seasoned it. I tossed some chicken stock and just baked it until crisp on the outside and gooey on the inside. Done and Done.

And the Peach Cobbler.. coughs. How can I explain this situation.
I let my friend make it because he wanted to try his hand at baking. I like the recipe he used and in my head I could easily executed the recipe but there couple mishaps. I wish I would have been a little more vocal but I'm trying my hand at not being too obtrusive with food. The end results tasted good and with the cream I poured on mine made that meal just a bit closer to me having DIABETUS.

All in all the day turned out great and I think it will be happening again soon. I'm always up for cooking for complete strange and also making good food. This was kinda weird but now I need to gossip about some stuff. Keep reading!

OUI

Comments