The black SAT's... at least I passed this one!

OK so it's been a long time since I updated my life page.
No excuses I know but I got bite by a spider on my inner thigh. I almost had to get it cut off but as of now it's healing OK. Not that mush to say right now. Yesterday was a film festival wine dinner at the restaurant. I had to make 2 different desserts for 50 people and I was more nervous that going into the Georgetown apple store. I decided to make a chocolate and a fruit dessert. First up mastering the art of a frozen mousse. I played around with the idea of shortcakes and how to make them less filling. I thought of making a honey and berry frozen mousse and layer them kinda like a torte. We had tons of fruit so instead of doing just a strawberry shortcake I did a mixed fruit one. I warmed some raspberries and blueberries in a pot and added a tsp of sugar. In another pot combined a tsp of gelatin and a tbsp of water. I let the gelatin bloom then I added a tbsp of honey to the same pot and warmed it all together. I whipped some cream and slowly drizzled in the gelatin-honey mixture. A the end I folded in the berry puree. Then I set it in the freezer for a few hours.
Now the chocolate dessert was the scared by far. I wanted to do individual potions so that I wouldn't have to slices anything to order. So I made bombe using the chocolate cream, almond cream, and lady fingers. I assembled the bombes and placed those in the freezer as well. They took a long time to freeze and I was stressing out because I took this test as a final exam. To see if this fine young black kid could produce desserts that would both look and taste expansive. After a shot or two ( of ginger ale... momo) I calmed down and assembled a tasting of the desserts and everyone seemed to like them. So the night ended well with a free bottle of wine and a turkey burger from the food truck! I'm winding down my trip and beginning to get ready for my big move out west. Maybe a new blog... nah!
OUI











Comments