" .. just walk towards the bridge!"

Yesterday started out a little strange. I woke up once again at 5am in a state of hunger when I remembered I had hid the rest of my cookies in the hotel safe. 1.9.8.5. and BAM a hazelnut biscotti and shortbread cookie still warm from the incubator safe box.


First one of the day...

I decided that I would try my way back to downtown San Francisco and walk around a little bit more. There were a few places I wanted to see and one that I definitely wanted to go to speak to a friend of a friend. Getting downtown was a easier today I had the confidence of a well let's just say I was confident. I got on the Bart and headed to Montgomery street station and when I got off I thought I would make a pitstop to the chinatown district. It was much cleaner than I expected and friendly best part was a lady offered me a free rice patty ball thingy. Hmmm....   The only problem with their version of chinatown is that it's up a damn hill. I forgot thru my many years of watching charmed the tv series that this city is full of hills in which people with asthma carry their inhalers around their necks.





 It was a nice detour before walking towards this big bridge thing that I think connects to treasure island or another island. I walked up to the pier and I noticed another street market but this one was made up of vendors selling not food but trinkets. I ran pass a few hundred bums and made my way across the street to see the other island. Millions of tourists later I made it far down enough to get a good picture and ran back to california st to grab a bite at Perbacco.

A super modern piedmontese style restaurant with exposed brick walls and wooden shelved lined walls. I sat down at the bar and asked for the sous chef. A couple friends from DC told me to stop by this place and that I should talk to the sous chefs and they could give me so hints and tips about the city. So I did and Karl one of the sous chef told me I should grab a bite to eat. So I grab a locally brewed beer ( Anchor Brewing Co. Steam Beer) sat at the bar and ordered what I thought was alight meal. Vitello Tonnato and a side or brussels with capers and parma and with that karl sent out a plate of the restaurant in house cured salumi's and lardo. Those of you guys know that I have a slight pork allergy in the I mean that when I eat pork the after effect is not pleasant. But everything was great and the tonnato was different then what I was expecting. The tuna - lemon sauce was as creamy as mayo and paired well with the veal. You can't go wrong with brown buttered brussels with parm and capers. So with all that down my hatch the bartender asked me if I was wanting to order anything else. Oh man sure I guess...  So I ordered the seared squid with preserved lemon, chili, and corona bean puree and he sent out the coujette gnocchi with duck ragu and orange zest. So at this point I'm sure you can imagine my face as I watched the people at the bar watch me eat all this food at 3 in the afternoon. The squid was seared quickly and tossed with a lemon and spicy almost vinagrette with arugula it was very well seasoned and tender. While the gnocchi was rich and fluffy and with the duck ragu and orange a definite entree for someone with a smaller stomach than I but a great ending to a good lunch. Or so I though. The bartender handed me the dessert menu and smiled because in my words " I just want to read it". But there it was the one thing I didn't expect to see.
SFORMATO!!! I thought maybe she gave me the wrong menu but I kept reading it and ordered it right away. It was a caramelized white chocolate sformato with a pretzel crust and vanilla scented cherries. I grabbed karl and had him explain how they made it and I was trying to write it down but he was talking a little to quick but amazing is what comes to mind when you eat this thing.





















So after this huge meal I decided to forgo eating for the rest of the dy and just to walk around and find a few more spots to eat at for the next day. Im still kinda full but that could be from the waffles I ate this morning. So I'm off to the city again with only a few days left I hope my mullah last until Monday.



OUI

Comments